"Relationships make our life meaningful because humans are social animals and cannot survive alone" Anonymous
The relationships I value both personal and professional have three qualities. Those relationships provide me with support, they challenge me, and I feel an acceptance. The first person that comes to mind is my husband of 27 years. This relationship has grown and changed and offers a support that I could have never imagined in my wildest Disney dreams. Relationships are living things and need attention if they are to continue to nurture the parties involved.
"Relationships of all types, personal or professional require a reciprocal support in order to grow." Anonymous
My Mommy has always been a support for me. I didn't understand in my early years, like all children, the sacrifices she was making in order for me to enjoy a safe and happy childhood. The most special of relationships was with my Grandmother, she was my champion, my own personal cheerleader. Every child should have a cheerleader! Her unconditional love allowed me to step out into the world with confidence and a belief that anything was possible. I have a friend who lives several states away, we talk weekly and often call, not text, with a telepathic connection, "oh my goodness I was just getting ready to call you!" We have seen each other through her divorce and a second marriage, graduations, college, children, triumphs and challenges. We are not afraid to tell it like it is, even if it hurts. That level of honesty could only exist in a trusting relationship.
"No road is long with good company" Turkish Proverb
Communication is key to good relationships both professional and personal. Professionally communication is important to successful teamwork. The successful completion of any team task hinges on the ability to communicate needs and the positive professional relationship will yield support and also challenge you to be better. Come to think of it our best personal relationship challenge us too.
"Assumptions are the termites of relationships" Henry Winkler
My experience with positive relationships share one thing in common, they all start without assumptions. No assumptions about who people are because of race, religion, gender. I grew up in a multi-cultural environment and still I had to look inward at any biases I might have learned along my journey and put them in perspective. We all yearn for support, acceptance and yes the challenge to grow.
This quality is important when working with military families. The population we serve is diverse. Building relationships daily allow us to support these families, many of which come to rely on the center staff as their families are usually far away.
"Let us be grateful to the people who make us happy, they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom." Marcel Proust
Hi Jacquelyn,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your blog. I liked the use of quotes too. Open, honest, and respectful communication is key to success in any relationship. I smiled when you shared what your relationship with your grandmother was, as it brought so many of my own memories of my Granny Sukey back to life. Relationships are what give our lives meaning.