Childhood Connection to Play
“We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old
because we stop playing.”
George Bernard Shaw
“Play is the only way the highest intelligence of humankind
can unfold.”
Joseph Chilton Pearce
Most of my favorite childhood activities involved being
outdoors. After helping my grandmother
hang the laundry, I was the best cloths pin hander every born, I would sit and
play under the sheets as they dried on the line.
My cousins and I would prepare the most beautiful mud pies
and grass and flower infused side items to serve on our play dishes that had
survived from Christmas morning until those long summer days in the backyard.
One of my favorite childhood “toys” was the bath towel. The towel that could instantly become a cape. I was often a super hero jumping from the
top of the porch to save the day. The
towel, carefully pinned to the head, was long hair to be swung from side to
side as I pretended to be Tina Turner or Cher, “I got you Babe.” A towel could
be a surf board or a beach towel placed right next to Frankie Avalon and
Annette Funechello. Yes, I was there at
Beach Party Bingo.
My grandmother was a big supporter of play. She would fall into character with easy and
allowed my imagination to flourish. Once
after a few too many cowboys movies I decided I was running cattle west. I refused to eat at the table. Instead I wanted to eat next to the table on
the floor. Which was “just outside of my
wagon and next to my horse.” My grandma
let me call her “cook” for the night. My
mother just looked and shook her head.
But, my grandmother played along calling me partner and asking about my
travel. There are far to many of these
instances to list when my imagination was allowed to stretch. I’m sure no one remembers seeing me but I was
a part of the crew on the Starship Enterprise.
Play is very different for young children now then when I
was growing up. The focus is on academic
learning at home and in childcare. I
learned so much during my pretend play; problem solving, story telling,
choice. I would hope that children would
be encouraged to play outside and leave the electronics in the off
position. There is so much to see and do outside. I read books and my grandmother wanted to know all about the book once I
was done. She was a great storyteller
from a long line of story tells and I wanted to recount the storybook with all
the flare she would expect.
Play is still a part of my life. As an adult I still enjoy family board games. Not to sound like a commercial but games really do bring families together. My early imagination practice allows me to think pass the “is” and straight to the possibilities. The limitless possibilities!



No comments:
Post a Comment