One of the three local organizations that appeals to me is
Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA).
CASA is a non-profit organization that supports children when they are
removed from their homes and placed into care.
The network of agency that come together to provide continuity of care
the child until a permanent home can be found.
I was a CASA volunteer and look forward to joining their ranks again. http://www.casaforchildren.org
Birthing Project USA organization is the only national
African American maternal and child health program in this country. Their mission with the help of volunteers is
to have a positive effect on birth outcomes by providing practical support to
women during pregnancy and for one year after birth. The New Orleans Birthing Project has had a positive
effect on the lives of many young moms in our community. I would like to become a volunteer and learn
how I can increase the effectiveness of my current CoP. http://www.birthingprojectusa.org
Another organization I would like to get involved with is
Tulane Infant Team. Infants and toddlers
grow and thrive in relationships where they receive warm, nurturing care.
Infant team teaches the skills necessary for parents to learn to provide this
type of relationship to their children.
The teams consist of social workers, psychologists, members of
department of social services, CASA supervisors and CASA volunteers. This organization works with parents whose
children have been placed into foster care, they also support foster parents in
caring for children. http://www.tulaneinfantteam.org
I did work as the New Parent Support Specialist (NPSS) for
Fleet and Family Support Center. Every
Navy and Marine Corps military installation has to have one. The programs mission is to support military
families with young children. NPSS is a
home visitation program that offers hands on support to expectant mothers and
parents with children up to age three.
This is one job that I would want to do again. While in this position I attended five
births. AMAZING!! The requirements were
first-hand knowledge of military life and its challenges, a BA in early
childhood education or social services, and the ability to pass a national
background check. http://www.zeiders.com
One position that interests me is that of the Region
Training and Performance Specialist.
This is a Navy Child and Youth Program position with requirements
knowledge of the many Navy Standard operational procedures and how they apply
to the Child and Youth Program.
Applicants must have good understanding of both Navy and NAEYC
accreditation requirements, be willing to travel and have outstanding
communication skills. http://www.navymwr.org/jobs/cnrjn94y13-per-002
Jackie,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading about different organizations that you chose. The only one I had heard of was CASA, which I actually learned about from The Dr. Phil show. All the organizations that you chose do amazing work helping children and families. Thanks for sharing!
Jackie-
ReplyDeleteI have a friend who works with CASA in my community and really enjoys being able to help children and families in their time of need. Your comment helped to light of spark of interest in me and I fully intend to ask him more about how to get involved with the program. Thanks for the inspiration!