Sunday, March 31, 2013

Communication Evaluations


     
For this assignment I choose my husband of 27 years and a colleague that I have know just over three years to evaluate my communication skills.   What I found interesting was the lack of variation from my personal and professional life in each of the evaluations.  However, my evaluators scored my Communication Anxiety Inventory as low, which I scored it as mild.  My husband said I look comfortable when I communicate in any situation.  My co-worker said a similar thing, “You’re the go to person when we need some to speak for the center, and you do it well.”  

      The truth is I get a bit anxious when I need to speak to a group of any size, especially large groups.   What worked really well for me in the past was my astigmatism, that’s right I wore glasses.   When I took them off I could only see the notes that I was speaking from and none of the audience.  This worked great until I had Lasik surgery.  I broke into a sweat the first time I spoke to a group with my corrected vision.

        I was pleased to learn that both my husband and colleague placed me in the moderate range for Verbal Aggressiveness.  I too like to think I strike a good balance but I sometimes worry that I back away to avoid confrontation.  All and all I agree with their assessment, I am people orientated, can value others opinions without losing my own and apparently look really confident when communicating.  And that confidence is in spite of the fact that I can now SEE the audience. 


1 comment:

  1. I completly understand your thoughts on worring about backing away to avoid confrontation. I also like to think I strike a balance but I also know that confrentation is not a welcomed factor in my life. I have learned that there are times where I have been to soft in my communication with others and this has caused them to feel frustrated. They were unsure of my expectations of them and had a hard time following me due to my lack of conviction.

    ReplyDelete