I
thought it would be interesting to ask people of different age groups their
definition of culture and diversity. So
I started with an older family member, male age 65. He said, “Culture is what people do.” He went
on to say, “like Mardi Gras is a part of the New Orleans culture. It’s what people celebrate, what you eat, how
you dress, stuff like that.” How do you
define diversity? For this answer he
relied on the surface markers such as race, gender, ethnicity. “It’s how people differ.” he finished.
I
then asked a co-worker about my age to define culture and she shared, “Culture
is part of the characteristics we share with others people. Things like religion, race, food, or
language.” She then added, “Clothing can be cultural and customs” Diversity
was defined as the things that are different from one another.
The
third person I spoke with is 15 years old.
She though culture would be defined as, “Your beliefs, your way of life,
the foods you eat, a belief system that shows how you are everyday.” “Diversity is the things about a person or a
group of people that are different from others.” Things like your religion or your race. Really our cultures are what give us diversity.
Everyone
I spoke to touched on the aspects of culture and diversity we have studied. Some examples were only one layer below the
surface culture typically given to define culture and diversity. When my co-work said that diversity was the
thing that made us different from one another.
I thought of the many things we shared. She is a mom, wife, and pet
owner, Saints Fan. There are so many things that connect us human beings when we
think deeper much more than separate us.
http://www.iamnorm.org/who-is-norm/about-the-campaign.aspx

jackie, I like how your older family member talked about Mardi Gras and culture. He is definitely right, it is how you celebrate or dress that defines your culture. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteI really liked how when you thought of your co-worker you focused on the similarities first and then need to go deeper to find the differences. So many people in the world today take the opposite approach. They focus on what is different, often out of fear, rather than the things that can bind us together as human beings.
ReplyDelete